Seoul says the two Koreas have agreed to hold talks next week as part of a previous deal aimed at improving ties in the wake of a military standoff in August.

Seoul's Unification Ministry said Friday that it has accepted North Korea's offer to hold talks at a border village next Thursday.

Ministry officials say the planned talks among working-level officials are aimed at preparing for higher-level negotiations the Koreas have agreed to hold.

Resuming high-level talks was among a set of agreements the sides struck after they averted the bloodshed they had threatened each other over land mine blasts blamed on Pyongyang that maimed two South Korean soldiers.

As part of those agreements, the Koreas arranged to reunions of families separated by war last month.