A state-run news website says police have killed all but one of the 29 culprits responsible for a deadly attack on a coal mine that killed 16 people in the ethnically restive region of Xinjiang. The remaining suspect was detained.

The report Friday in Tianshan Net, overseen by Communist Party officials in Xinjiang, was the first official confirmation of the bloody Sept. 18 mine attack, which had been reported in some foreign media but was kept tightly under wraps in China.

Tianshan said the assailants went into hiding after they killed 11 civilians and five police officers at the coal mine in the Asku region.

Tianshan says authorities launched a massive manhunt in the mountainous area and that police killed 28 assailants and apprehended the remaining one by Nov. 12.