World

AP Exclusive: Saudi prince says kingdom will remain in charge of hajj after deadly stampede

  • In this Saturday, Oct. 10, 2015 photo, Prince Turki al-Faisal talks with one of the dignitaries during the opening day of the Beirut Institute Summit in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. The prince, who spoke to The Associated Press in an interview Sunday during a visit to Abu Dhabi, said the oversight and management of the annual Islamic hajj pilgrimage is "a matter of sovereignty" and "privilege" and will not be shared with other nations. (AP Photo/Kamran Jebreili)

    In this Saturday, Oct. 10, 2015 photo, Prince Turki al-Faisal talks with one of the dignitaries during the opening day of the Beirut Institute Summit in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. The prince, who spoke to The Associated Press in an interview Sunday during a visit to Abu Dhabi, said the oversight and management of the annual Islamic hajj pilgrimage is "a matter of sovereignty" and "privilege" and will not be shared with other nations. (AP Photo/Kamran Jebreili)  (The Associated Press)

  • FILE - In this Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2015 file photo, hundreds of thousands of Muslim pilgrims pray outside Namira mosque in Arafat, on the second and most significant day of the annual hajj pilgrimage, near the holy city of Mecca, Saudi Arabia. A new tally shows last month’s crush and stampede at the Saudi hajj was the deadliest event to ever strike the annual pilgrimage. The Associated Press count Friday, Oct. 9, 2015, shows at least 1,453 people died Sept. 24 in Mina. Saudi officials have said their official figure of 769 killed and 934 injured in the disaster remains accurate. (AP Photo/Mosa'ab Elshamy, File)

    FILE - In this Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2015 file photo, hundreds of thousands of Muslim pilgrims pray outside Namira mosque in Arafat, on the second and most significant day of the annual hajj pilgrimage, near the holy city of Mecca, Saudi Arabia. A new tally shows last month’s crush and stampede at the Saudi hajj was the deadliest event to ever strike the annual pilgrimage. The Associated Press count Friday, Oct. 9, 2015, shows at least 1,453 people died Sept. 24 in Mina. Saudi officials have said their official figure of 769 killed and 934 injured in the disaster remains accurate. (AP Photo/Mosa'ab Elshamy, File)  (The Associated Press)

  • In this Saturday, Oct. 10, 2015 photo, Prince Turki al-Faisal talks to the audience during the opening day of the Beirut Institute Summit in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. The prince, who spoke to The Associated Press in an interview Sunday during a visit to Abu Dhabi, said the oversight and management of the annual Islamic hajj pilgrimage is "a matter of sovereignty" and "privilege" and will not be shared with other nations. (AP Photo/Kamran Jebreili)

    In this Saturday, Oct. 10, 2015 photo, Prince Turki al-Faisal talks to the audience during the opening day of the Beirut Institute Summit in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. The prince, who spoke to The Associated Press in an interview Sunday during a visit to Abu Dhabi, said the oversight and management of the annual Islamic hajj pilgrimage is "a matter of sovereignty" and "privilege" and will not be shared with other nations. (AP Photo/Kamran Jebreili)  (The Associated Press)

Senior Saudi royal, Prince Turki al-Faisal, says the oversight and management of the annual Islamic hajj pilgrimage is "a matter of sovereignty" and "privilege" and will not be shared with other nations.

The pilgrimage, which ended less than three weeks ago, was marred by a disaster just outside Mecca that killed more than 1,400 pilgrims when two crowds converged down a narrow street, according to an Associated Press count based on official statements from nations whose citizens died.

Top Iranian officials have accused Saudi Arabia of mismanagement and are calling on the Organization of Islamic Cooperation to manage the hajj.

The prince spoke to The Associated Press in an interview Sunday during a visit to Abu Dhabi.