World

Indonesia criticizes Saudi Arabia's hajj disaster response, demands more access to the dead

  • A Pakistani man receives his family member who returned from Saudi Arabia after the hajj pilgrimage, at Karachi airport, Pakistan, Monday, Sept. 28, 2015. Pakistan's minister for religious affairs says authorities have tracked down 217 Pakistanis who went missing following last week's stampede that killed hundreds of pilgrims during the hajj in Saudi Arabia. (AP Photo/Shakil Adil)

    A Pakistani man receives his family member who returned from Saudi Arabia after the hajj pilgrimage, at Karachi airport, Pakistan, Monday, Sept. 28, 2015. Pakistan's minister for religious affairs says authorities have tracked down 217 Pakistanis who went missing following last week's stampede that killed hundreds of pilgrims during the hajj in Saudi Arabia. (AP Photo/Shakil Adil)  (The Associated Press)

  • A female Iranian hajj pilgrim is welcomed by her daughter upon arrival at the Tehran Imam Khomeini airport, Iran, Tuesday, Sept. 29, 2015. More than 700 pilgrims were killed on Thursday in a stampede during the final days of the annual hajj in Mina near the holy city of Mecca, Saudi Arabia. The disaster killed at least 239 Iranian pilgrims, while over 200 people remain missing, Iran's state television reported. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)

    A female Iranian hajj pilgrim is welcomed by her daughter upon arrival at the Tehran Imam Khomeini airport, Iran, Tuesday, Sept. 29, 2015. More than 700 pilgrims were killed on Thursday in a stampede during the final days of the annual hajj in Mina near the holy city of Mecca, Saudi Arabia. The disaster killed at least 239 Iranian pilgrims, while over 200 people remain missing, Iran's state television reported. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)  (The Associated Press)

  • A female Iranian hajj pilgrim is welcomed by a relative upon arrival at Tehran Imam Khomeini airport, Iran, Tuesday, Sept. 29, 2015. More than 700 pilgrims were killed on Thursday in a stampede during the final days of the annual hajj in Mina near the holy city of Mecca, Saudi Arabia. The disaster killed at least 239 Iranian pilgrims, while over 200 people remain missing, Iran's state television reported. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)

    A female Iranian hajj pilgrim is welcomed by a relative upon arrival at Tehran Imam Khomeini airport, Iran, Tuesday, Sept. 29, 2015. More than 700 pilgrims were killed on Thursday in a stampede during the final days of the annual hajj in Mina near the holy city of Mecca, Saudi Arabia. The disaster killed at least 239 Iranian pilgrims, while over 200 people remain missing, Iran's state television reported. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)  (The Associated Press)

Indonesian officials are criticizing Saudi Arabia's response to the hajj disaster in Mina, saying authorities in the kingdom prevented their diplomats from seeing initial data and blocked their immediate access to the dead.

The criticism from Indonesia, the Muslim world's most populous country, comes as its officials, as well as those in India and Pakistan, say Saudi officials gave foreign diplomats some 1,100 pictures of those killed in last week's disaster. The Saudi Health Ministry's latest figures, released Saturday, put the toll at 769 people killed and 934 injured.

Saudi officials have yet to comment on the discrepancy in the toll.

Lalu Muhammad Iqbal, an official in Indonesia's Foreign Ministry, said Tuesday that 46 of its pilgrims died in the Mina crush, while 10 were injured and 90 remain missing.