JERUSALEM – Israeli authorities say they have arrested four Palestinian youths who were allegedly involved in a fatal stone throwing attack on the eve of the Jewish New Year earlier this month.
Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said Saturday that a joint investigation with the Shin Bet security service led to the arrests of four east Jerusalem residents between the ages of 16 and 19. He said the suspects re-enacted the attack that killed Alexander Levlovitz, a 64-year-old Israeli who was driving home from a meal marking the Jewish holiday of Rosh Hashanah.
The attack sparked outrage in Israel and a government pledge to crack down on rock attacks in Jerusalem, which have been on the rise. Israel has since approved more lenient rules of engagement and tougher minimum sentences for offenders.