Beijing prosecutors have decided not to indict a Chinese journalist detained more than two years ago during an aggressive government campaign to crack down on online rumors and rein in China's social media.

Liu Hu was detained in August 2013 for his whistleblowing posts on senior government officials.

He said Thursday he was formally notified by the prosecuting office that he will not face any charge. The decision was somewhat expected since Liu was released on bail in August 2014.

Unnerved by the rapid growth of social media and the new media's potential to usurp the state's power over public discourse, Beijing in 2013 launched a crackdown to hush outspoken, independent voices online.

Liu apparently was implicated in the campaign. He said his life had been turned upside down.