SEOUL, South Korea – A Chinese-led consortium has begun preliminary work on salvaging a South Korean ferry that sank last year in a disaster that killed more than 300 people.
Earlier this month, South Korea awarded a contract to the consortium led by China's state-run Shanghai Salvage Co. for a project to raise the ferry. Shanghai was involved in lifting a cruise ship that sank in China's Yangtze River in June, killing more than 400 people.
The Oceans Ministry says a diver worked underwater Wednesday to examine conditions at the site.
It says divers plan to do more underwater work such as photographing the ferry to help develop a salvage plan.
The bodies of 295 people have been recovered. Nine others are still missing.
Most of the victims were high school students.