World

US man who founded orphanage returns to Haiti after US jury awards him millions in damages

FILE - In this July 9, 2015 file photo, Michael Geilenfeld arrives at U.S. Bankruptcy Court, in Portland, Maine. Geilenfeld who founded a Haiti orphanage for boys was back in the Caribbean country on Wednesday, July 29, 2015, after a U.S. jury ordered an activist to pay $14.5 million in damages for falsely accusing him of sexually abusing children in his care.  Geilenfeld's said the orphanage founder feels “very happy and vindicated” by the jury's verdict in Maine and is looking forward to resuming his work in the impoverished nation. (AP Photo/Robert F. Bukaty, File)

FILE - In this July 9, 2015 file photo, Michael Geilenfeld arrives at U.S. Bankruptcy Court, in Portland, Maine. Geilenfeld who founded a Haiti orphanage for boys was back in the Caribbean country on Wednesday, July 29, 2015, after a U.S. jury ordered an activist to pay $14.5 million in damages for falsely accusing him of sexually abusing children in his care. Geilenfeld's said the orphanage founder feels “very happy and vindicated” by the jury's verdict in Maine and is looking forward to resuming his work in the impoverished nation. (AP Photo/Robert F. Bukaty, File)  (The Associated Press)

A U.S. citizen who founded a Haiti orphanage for boys has returned to the Caribbean country after a U.S. jury ordered an activist to pay $14.5 million in damages for falsely accusing him of sexually abusing children in his care.

A lawyer for Michael Geilenfeld says the orphanage founder feels vindicated by the jury verdict and is looking forward to resuming work in Haiti. Attorney Peter Detroy said Wednesday that he instructed Geilenfeld to make no public statements until after any appeals.

Geilenfeld founded the St. Joseph Home for Boys in the 1980s. He and a charity that raises money for the home filed a defamation suit against a Maine activist who publicized past allegations of sexual abuse that they said were false. The jury returned the verdict last week.