BERLIN – The United Nations says the civilian death toll from four months of fighting in Yemen has risen to nearly 1,900, with at least 202 people killed over the past 12 days.
The U.N. human rights office in Geneva said Tuesday that another 353 civilians were wounded from July 16-27. That brings its total count to 1,895 dead and 4,182 wounded since March 26.
It says 20 civilian facilities were partially or completely destroyed, bringing to 207 the total so far.
Yemen's fighting pits Shiite rebels known as Houthis and troops loyal to the former president against southern separatists, local and tribal militias, Sunni Islamic militants and the president's loyalists. A Saudi-led coalition has been waging an air campaign since March against the Houthis, who control the capital, Sanaa.