World

American man says son burned in Taiwan water park fire fights for life

  • Standing outside of the intensive care unit at a local hospital, Roger Haas, of Mount Vernon, New Hampshire, holds an iPhone photo of his son Alex Haas, 26, seriously burned in Saturday's accidental water park fire in Taipei, Taiwan, Wednesday, July 1, 2015. Investigators in Taiwan were focusing Monday on the possibility that a cigarette butt or spark caused the blaze that burned 498 people, killing one, at a weekend water park party when colored powder sprayed from the stage caught fire. More than 400 people remained hospitalized, including 202 in serious condition, city officials said. (AP Photo/Wally Santana)

    Standing outside of the intensive care unit at a local hospital, Roger Haas, of Mount Vernon, New Hampshire, holds an iPhone photo of his son Alex Haas, 26, seriously burned in Saturday's accidental water park fire in Taipei, Taiwan, Wednesday, July 1, 2015. Investigators in Taiwan were focusing Monday on the possibility that a cigarette butt or spark caused the blaze that burned 498 people, killing one, at a weekend water park party when colored powder sprayed from the stage caught fire. More than 400 people remained hospitalized, including 202 in serious condition, city officials said. (AP Photo/Wally Santana)  (The Associated Press)

  • CORRECTS SPELLING OF HAAS' HOMETOWN FROM MOUNT VERNON TO MONT VERNON - Standing outside of the intensive care unit at a local hospital, Roger Haas, of Mont Vernon, New Hampshire, holds an iPhone photo of his son Alex Haas, 26, seriously burned in Saturday's accidental water park fire in Taipei, Taiwan, Wednesday, July 1, 2015. Investigators in Taiwan were focusing Monday on the possibility that a cigarette butt or spark caused the blaze that burned 498 people, killing one, at a weekend water park party when colored powder sprayed from the stage caught fire. More than 400 people remained hospitalized, including 202 in serious condition, city officials said. (AP Photo/Wally Santana)

    CORRECTS SPELLING OF HAAS' HOMETOWN FROM MOUNT VERNON TO MONT VERNON - Standing outside of the intensive care unit at a local hospital, Roger Haas, of Mont Vernon, New Hampshire, holds an iPhone photo of his son Alex Haas, 26, seriously burned in Saturday's accidental water park fire in Taipei, Taiwan, Wednesday, July 1, 2015. Investigators in Taiwan were focusing Monday on the possibility that a cigarette butt or spark caused the blaze that burned 498 people, killing one, at a weekend water park party when colored powder sprayed from the stage caught fire. More than 400 people remained hospitalized, including 202 in serious condition, city officials said. (AP Photo/Wally Santana)  (The Associated Press)

The father of an American who was badly burned in a fire at a Taiwan water park says the family is anxious about how the young man will fare in the next few days.

Roger Haas of New Hampshire said Wednesday that his son Alex Haas is fighting for his life after 90 percent of his body and his lungs were burned.

He says the family faults the park management for the fire last Saturday that killed one person and burned hundreds of more.

Investigators are looking into the possibility that a cigarette or spark triggered the explosion of colored powder that was thrown into a crowd from a stage at the Formosa Water Park in New Taipei City.