World

UN official cancels trip to South Africa on violence against women after government delays

The United Nations' special rapporteur on violence against women says she has canceled a visit to South Africa because the government delayed and ignored requests.

In a statement on Monday, Rashida Manjoo said she had tried to set up a visit to the country since 2012. The statement said Manjoo was due to visit South Africa earlier this year, but the South African government postponed her trip and failed to confirm a new schedule despite repeated requests.

Spokeswoman Nathalie Stadelmann said Manjoo's predecessor, Yakin Erturk, also failed to secure a visit to the country. The fact-finding mission was intended to investigate violence against women in South Africa, which has high rates of domestic violence and sexual assault.

The South African Women's Ministry did not immediately comment.