Migrants arrive at Palermo's harbor, Italy, after being rescued at sea, Wednesday, April 15, 2015. The U.N. refugee agency says the shipwreck in the Mediterranean this week, in which 400 migrants are presumed to have died, is among the deadliest single incidents in the last decade. The tragedy comes amid an unprecedented wave of migration toward Europe from Africa and the Middle East. UNHCR Italy spokeswoman Barbara Molinario says 900 migrants have died or gone missing at sea so far this year, part of a phenomenon the agency has been tracking since 2011. (AP Photo/Alessandro Fucarini)
(The Associated Press)
MILAN – The International Organization for Migrants says 41 migrants are feared drowned in a new Mediterranean shipwreck.
The IOM aid agency, based in Geneva, said Thursday that four migrants reported the tragedy in recent days after arriving in the Italian port of Trapani. They were among 580 migrants brought to the port on Thursday.
The agency said the migrants were found floating in the sea by a helicopter and were rescued by the Italian Naval ship Foscari. They had left Tripoli in Libya on Saturday and stayed adrift for four days.