BELGRADE, Serbia – Serbia's war crimes prosecutors have charged five people with abducting 20 people from a train in eastern Bosnia in 1993 and brutally killing them — a wartime massacre that traumatized the Balkans.
The War Crimes Prosecutor's office said in a statement Tuesday that the indictment presents the first step in reaching truth and justice for the victims and their families.
It says ten more people are being investigated in Bosnia. The suspects include former members of a Serb paramilitary unit notorious during Bosnia's 1992-95 war.
The group stormed a passenger train, picked out non-Serbs and took them away, robbed them, beat them up and killed them.
Authorities in Bosnia and Serbia jointly cracked the case last year as the countries seek to move away from wartime past toward EU integration.