CAIRO – Egypt has rejected a report by Amnesty International that said seven civilians were killed in airstrikes targeting the Islamic State group in Libya in retaliation for the beheading of 21 Egyptian Christians.
Egyptian Foreign Ministry spokesman Badr Abdel-Atti says in a Tuesday statement that the targets were "carefully chosen" and that reports of civilian deaths "are mistaken and not true." He said the airstrikes targeted training camps and weapon caches of the extremist group — which released a video of the beheadings last week.
He accused Amnesty of "selectivity" and "double-standards."
Amnesty said Monday that the Feb. 16 airstrikes in the eastern Libyan city of Darna killed seven civilians, including a mother and her three children.