TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras – Honduran authorities have found three corpses in a clandestine grave at a gang-dominated teen lockup that are believed to be inmates previously thought to have escaped.
Criminal investigations chief Ricardo Castro says the dismembered bodies were unearthed near a perimeter wall at the Renacimiento juvenile detention center north of the capital, Tegucigalpa.
Castro says one has already been identified as an inmate who disappeared a year ago and was reported as a fugitive. Forensic tests are continuing.
More than 160 inmates ages 12 to 18 are housed at Renacimiento, most of them members of the Barrio 18 gang. Guards do not carry firearms and escapes are common.
Castro said Tuesday that authorities are looking for more possible graves.