North Korea challenged the United States on Tuesday to provide evidence that the shadowy communist state was behind the devastating hacking attack against Sony Pictures.
The U.S. government last month accused Pyongyang of the cyberattack against the company, which, along with other factors, led Sony to cancel the wide release of its film, “The Interview," a comedy about a fictional assassination attempt of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Under heavy pressure, the company eventually somewhat relented, giving the film a limited release in independent theaters and via digital download.
The Obama administration later imposed sanctions against North Korea, which it told Congress was only the first step in response to the cyberattack.
North Korea's deputy U.N. ambassador, An Myong Hun, again called for a joint investigation with the United States.
"My country has nothing to do with the Sony hacking," An said. "It is totally arbitrary and out of established hostile policy against my country to impose any kinds of pressure against my country, which we cannot accept at all."
During a rare news conference, An again said North Korea would suspend nuclear tests if the United States would suspend its planned joint military exercises with South Korea. Asked by Fox News why North Korea won't suspend its nuclear testing unilaterally as a goodwill gesture, An said that Pyongyang first wants an atmosphere "which will be conducive to creating peace and security on the Korean peninsula."
Fox News' Jonathan Wachtel and The Associated Press contributed to this report.