World

No one held accountable in South Sudan massacre that raised memories of Rwandan genocide

A new U.N. report says no one has been held accountable in a massacre in South Sudan last year that raised international alarm and memories of the Rwandan genocide.

The report released Friday says more than 350 civilians were killed in two bursts of violence along ethnic lines as fighting between government troops and rebels reached a bloody height last April. The attacks in Bentiu and Bor led the U.N. Security Council to express "horror" and threaten sanctions, while the top U.N. aid official there reported "piles and piles" of bodies in the streets.

The new report says the targeted attacks on civilians in Bentiu by rebels, and in Bor by government supporters, could amount to war crimes.

South Sudan remains in turmoil as three cease-fire agreements have failed.