KIEV, Ukraine – Ukraine's military authorities say they are suspending hostilities against Russian-backed separatists in the east in line with a truce declared last week.
Military spokesmen said Tuesday that they are acting in accord with a "day of silence" proposed by President Petro Poroshenko.
The halting of hostilities marks a new effort at reviving a September cease-fire that has been violated daily. Authorities in Kiev say the truce could lay the foundation for longer-term peace.
Separatist rebel leaders say they have agreed to the terms of the "day of silence."
Sustained rocket attacks were being carried out in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions until Monday. Ukrainian officials said Tuesday that government-controlled residential areas and armed positions had come under fire 64 times over the previous 24-hour period.