World

Hong Kong democracy protest camp shutdown looms after court authorizes clearance

  • A man walks past a barricade which was set up by pro-democracy protesters at the occupied area outside government headquarters in Hong Kong  Monday, Dec. 8, 2014. Leaders the Hong Kong Federation of Students, representing those studying at colleges, said last Thursday that they were considering a retreat from the protest sites and expect to come to a decision soon. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung)

    A man walks past a barricade which was set up by pro-democracy protesters at the occupied area outside government headquarters in Hong Kong Monday, Dec. 8, 2014. Leaders the Hong Kong Federation of Students, representing those studying at colleges, said last Thursday that they were considering a retreat from the protest sites and expect to come to a decision soon. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung)  (The Associated Press)

  • A pro-democracy student, holding a broken umbrella, poses for photographs at the occupied area outside government headquarters in Hong Kong Tuesday, Dec. 9, 2014. Hong Kong authorities and activists are set for one last showdown after the publication Tuesday of a court order authorizing the removal of barricades and tents blocking the Asian financial hub's streets for more than two months. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung)

    A pro-democracy student, holding a broken umbrella, poses for photographs at the occupied area outside government headquarters in Hong Kong Tuesday, Dec. 9, 2014. Hong Kong authorities and activists are set for one last showdown after the publication Tuesday of a court order authorizing the removal of barricades and tents blocking the Asian financial hub's streets for more than two months. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung)  (The Associated Press)

  • Members of bailiff post an injunction document on a barricade set up by pro-democracy protesters at the occupied area outside government headquarters in Hong Kong Tuesday, Dec. 9, 2014. Hong Kong authorities and activists are set for one last showdown after the publication Tuesday of a court order authorizing the removal of barricades and tents blocking the Asian financial hub's streets for more than two months. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung)

    Members of bailiff post an injunction document on a barricade set up by pro-democracy protesters at the occupied area outside government headquarters in Hong Kong Tuesday, Dec. 9, 2014. Hong Kong authorities and activists are set for one last showdown after the publication Tuesday of a court order authorizing the removal of barricades and tents blocking the Asian financial hub's streets for more than two months. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung)  (The Associated Press)

Hong Kong authorities and activists are set for one last showdown after a court authorized the removal of barricades and tents blocking the Asian financial hub's streets for more than two months.

A High Court restraining order published Tuesday in newspapers requires obstructions be removed from the Admiralty district, site of the protesters' main camp.

The site is one of three that the student-led protesters had occupied since late September to press their demands for greater democracy.

Another protest site in the Mong Kok neighborhood was already shut down by authorities working under a separate court order late last month.

The South China Morning Post newspaper said a third site in the Causeway Bay district is also expected to be dismantled at the same time, citing unidentified police sources.