RIYADH, Saudi Arabia – A high-level meeting of Gulf foreign ministers has ended without a clear end to a monthslong diplomatic spat with Qatar, but some envoys are signaling that progress has been made.
Saudi Arabia, along with the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain, withdrew their ambassadors from Qatar in March in an unprecedented public protest largely believed to be spurred by the tiny nation's support for Islamist groups in Egypt, Libya, the Gaza Strip and elsewhere. They accused Qatar of interfering in their security affairs.
Speaking to reporters on the sideline of Saturday's meeting, Oman's Foreign Minister said the crisis had been resolved and Kuwait's Foreign Minister said ambassadors could return at any moment.
However, a joint statement by the ministers after the meeting made no mention of a resolution with Qatar.