CAIRO – Egypt's president has denied any military involvement in neighboring Libya, a day after Islamist militias accused Cairo of bombing their posts in Tripoli.
Egypt's state news agency MENA carried President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi's comments on Sunday. They came in response to accusations a day earlier by Islamist militias in Tripoli, who blamed Egypt and the United Arab Emirates for a series of mysterious airstrikes. The Libyan air force denied it was behind the attacks last week. Two airstrikes killed 15 fighters and wounded another 30 on Saturday.
El-Sissi said his armed forces have not carried out any military operations outside Egypt "so far."
He said Egypt is in consultation with Libya's neighbors to find a political solution to the violent power struggle between rival groups.