Sign in to comment!

Menu
Home

World

Second suspected jihadist leaves Australia with brother's passport in airport security bungle

Australia's prime minister says the nation's border security is not good enough after a second suspected jihadist flew to the Middle East using a brother's passport.

The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on Friday that a 19-year-old Sydney man left Australia using his brother's passport last week, but was deported from the United Arab Emirates.

The bungle is embarrassing for Australia which along with the United States will ask United Nations member countries next month to cooperate in preventing militants from traveling to Iraq and Syria.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott said the 19-year-old, whose has not been publicly named, did not reach the battle field. A convicted terrorist used his brother's passport to leave Australia last year to fight with Islamic State terrorist group in Syria and Iraq.