Sign in to comment!



Egypt-hosted Gaza talks to continue as Israel-Hamas cease-fire holds for second day

  • Mideast Israel Palestinians-1.jpg

    Two Palestinian women ride a donkey cart past the destroyed Nada Towers residential neighborhood in the town of Beit Lahiya, northern Gaza Strip, Monday, Aug. 11, 2014. A new temporary truce took hold, Monday, in the monthlong war pitting the Israeli military against rocket-firing Hamas militants as negotiators from Israel and the Hamas militant group resumed indirect talks in Egypt on Monday. (AP Photo/Khalil Hamra) (The Associated Press)

  • Mideast Israel Palestinians-2.jpg

    Palestinian Ziad Rizk, 38, left, sits with others in a shelter made of a blanket stretched over four boles next to one of the destroyed Nada Towers, where he lost his apartment and clothes shop, in the town of Beit Lahiya, northern Gaza Strip, Monday, Aug. 11, 2014. (AP Photo/Khalil Hamra) (The Associated Press)

  • Mideast Gaza Blockade-3.jpg

    Ahmad Baraka, 25, a Palestinian worker at Al Awda snack food factory inspects the damage and burned factory in Deir el-Balah, central Gaza Strip. The factory owner, Mohammed al-Telbani, lost his life's work during the Gaza war after Israeli shells slammed into his four-story factory, one of Gaza's largest, sparking a fire that engulfed vats of margarine and sacks of cocoa powder. Al-Telbani and others in Gaza say anything short of a complete opening of Gaza's borders, after seven years of closure by Israel and Egypt, will do little to change their lives. (AP Photo/Adel Hana) (The Associated Press)

A temporary Israel-Hamas truce is holding for a second day as marathon, indirect negotiations on a lasting cease-fire and a long-term solution for the battered Gaza Strip are to resume in Cairo.

Israel Radio says the Israeli delegation would return to the Egyptian capital on Tuesday after a short stay in Israel.

The Israeli military says no incidents — neither Hamas rocket fire at Israel nor Israeli strikes in Gaza — were registered overnight.

A senior Israeli official said the "gaps between the sides were big" while a Palestinian delegation member said Egyptian mediators told them they expected "an extremely long negotiating session" on Tuesday.

Both the Israeli and Palestinian officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the negotiations with the media.