Sign in to comment!

Menu
Home

World

3 men charged with roles in bus attacks that killed 5 governing party backers in Nicaragua

Nicaragua's top prosecutor says three men have been charged with murder and organized crime involving weekend attacks on two buses carrying supporters of the Central American country's governing party. Five people were killed and 28 wounded.

Attorney General Ana Julia Guido alleged Thursday that the two brothers and another man accepted money to throw rocks at the buses and slow them down so gunmen could open fire.

One bus was attacked late Saturday and the other before dawn Sunday, both in northern Nicaragua. Guido said the attacks had been planned two days earlier by suspects she didn't identified.

The buses were carrying members of the governing Sandinista National Liberation Front returning home from a celebration of Nicaragua's 1979 revolution.