JERUSALEM – The Israeli military says militants in the Gaza Strip fired a rocket into Israel for the first time since rival Palestinian factions formed a national unity government, but caused no injuries.
Israel has warned it would hold the Western-backed Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas responsible for any attacks out of Gaza since he formed a new government last week. Hamas militants, who have controlled Gaza for the past seven years, are not formally in the government but have given it their backing.
Deputy defense minister Danny Danon called on Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to take action following Wednesday's attack.
Danon says Israel should halt the transfers of tax funds to the Palestinians.
Thousands of rockets have been fired from Gaza over the years. Israel holds Hamas responsible, sometimes retaliating with airstrikes.