BARCELONA, Spain – Spanish officials say police have arrested six more people after a sixth night of clashes with youths in Barcelona.
The disturbances erupted in the touristic Mediterranean city after the partial dismantling of a popular social center that had been run by squatters for 17 years. Since then, dozens of people have been arrested.
The melee overnight left a trail of burning garbage containers, damage to bank cash machines, and vandalized public property and parked cars.
A police spokesman said the arrests Sunday resulted from spillover violence after some 3,500 people marched peacefully through the city center a day earlier.
The spokesman said police also checked the identity papers of 225 people. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to be quoted publicly in the media.