World

US Coast Guard resumes search for 4 missing crew of yacht that capsized in mid-Atlantic

This is a undated handout file photo issued by the Royal Yachting Association, via the PA, on Monday May 19, 2014   show the  missing yacht Cheeki Rafiki .  The families of four missing British yachtsmen are imploring the U.S. Coast Guard to resume the search for the men, whose boat capsized in the mid-Atlantic.  The Cheeki Rafiki was returning from a regatta in Antigua when it ran into trouble about 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) east of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, on Thursday. The 40-foot high performance Beneteau yacht diverted to the Azores, but contact was lost on Friday. (AP Photo/Royal Yachting Association/PA) UNITED KINGDOM OUT NO SALES NO ARCHIVE

This is a undated handout file photo issued by the Royal Yachting Association, via the PA, on Monday May 19, 2014 show the missing yacht Cheeki Rafiki . The families of four missing British yachtsmen are imploring the U.S. Coast Guard to resume the search for the men, whose boat capsized in the mid-Atlantic. The Cheeki Rafiki was returning from a regatta in Antigua when it ran into trouble about 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) east of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, on Thursday. The 40-foot high performance Beneteau yacht diverted to the Azores, but contact was lost on Friday. (AP Photo/Royal Yachting Association/PA) UNITED KINGDOM OUT NO SALES NO ARCHIVE  (The Associated Press)

The U.S. Coast Guard says it has resumed the search for four British sailors whose yacht apparently capsized in mid-Atlantic.

Spokeswoman Lisa Novak said Tuesday that the search for the crew of the Cheeki Rafiki had been re-started at the request of the British government.

The yacht got into trouble on Thursday about 600 miles (1,000 kilometers) east of Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Contact was lost after it diverted to the Azores.

The coast guard, Canadian aircraft and merchant vessels searched for the crew Friday and Saturday but called off efforts Sunday amid treacherous weather.

The suspension of the search caused an uproar in Britain. Almost 200,000 people have signed an online petition asking coast guards to keep looking, and families of the missing men appealed to British politicians for help.