PRETORIA, South Africa – The Oscar Pistorius murder trial has resumed after a two-week recess, with the defense team calling its fourth witness in an attempt to rebuild the double-amputee athlete's case that he killed his girlfriend by mistake last year.
The trial moved into its seventh week Monday with testimony from Johan Stander, the first person Pistorius says he called after he shot Reeva Steenkamp at his home in the early hours of Feb. 14, 2013. Stander lived at the same gated community as Pistorius.
Pistorius has said that Stander and his daughter were the first people to arrive on the scene after the shooting.
Stander's testimony follows a shaky start by Pistorius' defense, where the Olympian's story of an accidental killing came under scrutiny as he was cross-examined by the chief prosecutor.