TEHRAN, Iran – Iran's state TV says the military has dismissed several commanders from service and others face court proceedings for alleged negligence after last month's abduction of five Iranian border guards by Pakistan-based militants.
The Monday report on the state TV website quotes border guard commander Hossein Zolfaghari as saying that all five captive border guards are still unharmed.
The five were abducted in Iran's Sistan and Baluchestan Province on Feb. 6 and reportedly taken to Pakistan. Iran has said it sent officials to Pakistan to coordinate their release.
Tweets in the name of the Jaish al-Adl, said to be an armed Sunni group, have claimed credit for the kidnapping and posted pictures that purport to show the captives. Recent Tweets have threatened to kill the five.