Sign in to comment!

Menu
Home

World

Mozambican forces accused of attacking Renamo positions in central Mozambique

Mozambique's main opposition party and former rebel movement, Renamo, has accused government forces of attacking its positions in the central province of Sofala.

Renamo spokesman Antonio Muchanga told a news conference in Maputo on Thursday that the attacks would hinder an understanding reached in talks between the two parties on an urgent need for an end to renewed hostilities between the old foes.

Responding to Renamo's claim, agriculture minister Jose Pacheco, who heads the government delegation at the ongoing talks between the two parties, said that on Monday Renamo gunmen attacked a police vehicle.

Pacheco said government forces defended themselves and are pursuing those responsible for the attack.

A 16-year civil war between the two factions ended in 1992 but hostilities between them flared again in May last year.