NAIROBI, Kenya – A senior security official in Kenya has disclosed what authorities believe are the names of two previously unidentified gunmen who carried out the attack on a Nairobi mall, killing at least 67 people.
The official, who insisted on anonymity because he is not authorized to give the information, said Thursday the two are Ahmed Hassan Abubakar and Yahye Ahmed Osman.
Authorities previously revealed the names of two other attackers as Abu Barat Al-Sudani, also known as Mohamed Hassan Dhuhulow, and Mohamed Abdinur Said. Dhuhulow had lived in Norway.
The al-Qaida-linked Somali militant group al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the September mall attack, saying it was in revenge for Kenya's military deployment into Somalia. Authorities believed four attackers carried out the attack. All four were believed to be ethnic Somalis.