Sign in to comment!



Ukraine opposition activist Bulatov treated for injuries, vows to continue fight

  • ab0cc719602b7c044a0f6a706700df2e.jpg

    In this frame grab provided by 5 Channel, bloody Dmytro Bulatov speaks to press after he was found near Kiev, Ukraine, Jan. 31, 2014. Bulatov, an opposition protester who disappeared more than a week ago says he was kidnapped and tortured by unknown assailants, in a chilling development that is likely to further stoke anger against the embattled government of President Viktor Yanukovych. Dmytro Bulatov, is the latest in a string of disappearances and mysterious attacks on prominent opposition leaders, which left one activist dead and several badly beaten. (AP Photo/5 Channel) (The Associated Press)

  • 1a3226f85fcf7a044a0f6a7067002558.jpg

    In this photo taken on Jan. 13, 2014, Dmytro Bulatov speaks to press during an interview in Kiev, Ukraine. Bulatov a Ukrainian opposition activist who went missing last week says he was kidnapped and tortured, the latest in a string of mysterious attacks on anti-government protesters in the two-month-long political crisis. Dmytro Bulatov, 35, a member of Automaidan, a group of car owners that has taken part in the protests against President Viktor Yanukovych, went missing Jan. 22. He was discovered outside Kiev on Thursday, Jan. 30, 2014. He said his kidnappers beat him severely, nailed him to a cross, sliced off a piece of ear and cut his face. (AP Photo/Maks Levin) (The Associated Press)

Ukraine opposition activist Dmytro Bulatov says he will continue to fight for democratic reforms in his country as he convalesces from injuries in a Lithuanian hospital.

In a statement issued Monday by the Vilnius University Hospital, Bulatov said he will need a few days to get back on his feet, "but they failed to break my soul. I will continue my fight, I will go forward. I will fight for democracy in Ukraine."

Bulatov went missing on Jan. 22 and resurfaced a week later, heavily bruised and with part of an ear cut off.

His condition raised fears that government supporters are trying to intimidate the opposition. Police had sought him for questioning on suspicion of organizing mass disorder, but prosecutors said he was free to leave Ukraine on Sunday.