RIO DE JANEIRO – Former Brazil stars Cafu and Bebeto say failure to complete one of the 12 World Cup venues on time would be a blow to the nation.
Cafu on Thursday said it would be "disaster" if Curitiba has to be removed from the list. Bebeto said it would be "terrible for all Brazilians" if the southern city is excluded from football's showpiece event.
FIFA official Jerome Valcke says getting Curitiba ready will be a "challenge," but says it would be an even bigger problem to relocate the four matches set for the city's Arena de Baixada.
Valcke visited Curitiba earlier in the week. He says FIFA will make another assessment on Feb. 18 and there would be "hourly monitoring" to assess stadium building.