Published November 19, 2013
ROME – The death toll from torrential flash floods that whipped the Mediterranean island of Sardinia has increased to 14.
Olbia Mayor Gianni Giovanelli told Sky TG24 that the city had been destroyed by the "apocalyptic" storm, with bridges felled by gushing, muddy rivers and water levels reaching 3 meters (10 feet) high in some places.
Sardinia Gov. Ugo Cappellacci said the toll had reached 14, with a family of four, reportedly of Brazilian origin, the latest victims found.
Local newspaper L'Unione Sarda said one policeman helping to escort an ambulance died when the car he was travelling in was submerged in the collapse of a bridge in Dorgali. In hard-hit Gallura, three people died after their car was swept away in the collapse of another bridge, it said.