World

Nevada School Superintendent Says There Is No Evidence The Middle School Shooter Was Bullied

Friends have added a message to Jose Reyes and a small wooden cross at a memorial pictured Monday, Oct. 28, 2013, outside Sparks Middle School, where the seventh-grader fatally shot a teacher and wounded two 12-year-old classmates before killing himself in the school yard a week ago. Students returned to classes Monday for the first time since the Oct. 21 shooting. (AP Photo/By Scott Sonner)

Friends have added a message to Jose Reyes and a small wooden cross at a memorial pictured Monday, Oct. 28, 2013, outside Sparks Middle School, where the seventh-grader fatally shot a teacher and wounded two 12-year-old classmates before killing himself in the school yard a week ago. Students returned to classes Monday for the first time since the Oct. 21 shooting. (AP Photo/By Scott Sonner)

There is not evidence a seventh-grader who fatally shot a teacher and wounded two classmates at Sparks Middle School last month was bullied before he opened fired, says a northwestern Nevada superintendent.

Jose Reyes, 12, killed math teacher Michael Landsberry with a semi-automatic handgun outside the school on Oct. 21 before taking his own life.

Washoe County School District Superintendent Pedro Martinez told KTVN-TV (http://bit.ly/1eqRcfw) that "there was nothing in our official records about bullying for this child, whether at the elementary school or the middle school. Even the parents recently said there was no indication from what they saw."

The parents, Jose and Liliana Reyes, earlier this week used the word "teased" to describe what their son faced about a speech problem but said he never showed signs of harboring anger or resentment that could help explain the schoolyard shooting.

Their attorney, Kent Robison, told KTVN that Reyes was teased at school and even saw a counselor.

Some students have said bullying played a role in the shooting, but police said they have no evidence of that and have refused to comment about anything that might have provoked the attack.

The parents of the two 12-year-olds recovering successfully from gunshot wounds have said they don't believe their children were targeted in the attack on the asphalt basketball court 15 minutes before the morning bell.

The principal of Sparks Middle School, Stacey Cooper, is now on leave, school district officials told KRNV-TV (http://bit.ly/HJuHEW).

Asked why she was on leave, district officials said in a statement: "We continue to focus on the healing and recovery process and ensuring our staff and students at Sparks Middle School have all the support they need during this difficult time."

"This consists of working with several staff members to address their requests and needs. This includes Ms. Cooper, who is currently away from the school to address her needs."

District officials also said messages of support continue to pour into the school from across the country.

Students from Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., sent prayer shawls, while Columbine High School in Colorado sent a banner bearing signatures of its students.

Both schools were the scenes of high-profile fatal shootings.

Based on reporting by the Associated Press.

Follow us on twitter.com/foxnewslatino
Like us at facebook.com/foxnewslatino