Published September 10, 2013
BAGHDAD – A spokesman for an Iranian dissident group whose members were killed at a camp in Iraq last week is charging that Iraq plans to hand over seven allegedly missing residents to Iran, an allegation Baghdad denies.
Shahin Gobadi, spokesman for the parent organization of the Mujahedeen-e-Khalq, said Tuesday that the seven residents of Camp Ashraf are being held by Iraqi forces near Baghdad airport and will be transferred to Iran in the coming days. His group says they were taken hostage during violence at the Saddam Hussein-era compound on Sept. 1 that left 52 residents dead.
The Iraqi prime minister's spokesman, Ali al-Moussawi, says he has no information on the seven people in question and denies any plans by Iraq to forcibly send former Camp Ashraf residents to Iran.