Philippine military says it won't change its 'no confrontation' policy amid territorial rifts

Published August 28, 2013

| Associated Press

The Philippine military says it will stick to a "no confrontation" policy even as it strengthens its forces with more weapons and looks forward to a larger U.S. military presence in the country as territorial disputes intensify in the South China Sea.

Military chief of staff Gen. Emmanuel Bautista told foreign correspondents Wednesday that the Philippines was building a "minimum credible defense" to protect its territory and "to at least deter or make any aggressor hesitate or think twice before any hostile action."

Bautista refused in a news conference to name China as its military concern. But the Philippines has repeatedly protested what it calls Chinese intrusions in its territorial waters in recent years, including the seizure of a disputed fishing shoal last year.

URL

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/08/28/philippine-military-says-it-wont-change-its-no-confrontation-policy-amid/