David Warner's dashing half-century on the fourth day gave Australia hope of victory in the fourth Ashes Test against England at Chester-le-Street on Monday.

At tea, Australia were 120 for one, needing a further 179 runs to reach their victory target of 299.

Warner was 57 not out, having shared an opening stand of 109 with first innings century-maker Chris Rogers before his fellow left-hander fell for 49.

Usman Khawaja was unbeaten on six.

It looked as if Australia might bat through the second session without losing a wicket until Rogers edged a ball from off-spinner Graeme Swann that gripped and straightened low to Jonathan Trott at first slip.

England twice came close to dismissing Rogers on 14.

First he was given out caught behind off James Anderson on 14 but Rogers, whose first innings 110 was his maiden Test hundred, successfully reviewed with replays showing the ball had hit his back leg, not his bat, as yet another decision by New Zealand umpire Tony Hill was overturned this series.

Rogers then edged seamer Tim Bresnan, only for second slip Swann, who had dropped a similar chance when the batsman was on 49 in the first innings, to fail to hold a right-handed chance as he dived in front of England captain Alastair Cook at first slip.

Meanwhile, Warner -- who missed the first two Tests of the series after punching England batsman Joe Root in a Birmingham bar in June -- added to Swann's frustration by driving him over long-off for the first six of the match and went on to complete a 74-ball 50, also featuring eight fours.

Earlier, Australia fast bowler Ryan Harris took a Test-best seven for 117 as England, 234 for five overnight, were dismissed for 330 in their second innings.

Although Ian Bell could only add eight to his overnight 105, England's total was bolstered by a dashing 45 from Bresnan, who started the day four not out, and Swann's unbeaten 30, made at better than a run-a-ball.

Queensland fast bowler Harris took four for 43 with the new ball on Monday after reducing England to 49 for three on Sunday to give Australia, 2-0 down in the series with two to play, hope of a win that would leave them in a position to level the five-match series at 2-2 in the final Test at London's Oval.

His return, in his 15th Test, surpassed the 33-year-old's previous innings best of six for 47 against England at Perth in 2010.

Harris struck twice in two deliveries with the new ball to reduce England to 251 for seven.

A good length delivery that jagged back and kept low saw Bell bowled off the inside edge for 113, his highest score of the series after he made 109 in both England's wins at Trent Bridge and Lord's, to end a near five-hour innings of 210 balls which included 11 fours.

By contrast, Harris's next ball rose sharply and Matt Prior was bowled off his elbow for a duck.

Stuart Broad survived Harris's hat-trick attempt.

A flurry of boundaries followed before Harris's well-directed bouncer had Broad out fending to Steven Smith in the gully.

Bresnan got to within sight of his 50 before he was caught and bowled by Harris after checking a drive.