Published July 04, 2013
BLANG MANCUNG, Indonesia – Officials say the death toll from an earthquake that hit Indonesia's Aceh province earlier this week has reached 30. Soldiers, police and volunteers are searching debris from the earthquake for another 12 people believed missing.
Sutopo Purwo Nugroho of the National Disaster Mitigation Agency says the main focus of recovery efforts Thursday would be to search for more victims, assist the injured and provide supplies for those in need.
Nugroho said 275 people were injured and more than 4,300 houses and buildings were damaged in Tuesday's magnitude-6.1 quake.
Indonesia is prone to earthquakes. In 2004, a magnitude-9.1 earthquake off Aceh triggered a tsunami that killed 230,000 people in 14 countries.