KAMPALA, Uganda – Representatives of Congo's M23 movement say they want to resume peace talks with the government.
Rene Abandi, who heads the M23 delegation, said Tuesday that they are "committed" to the Uganda-mediated talks despite plans to deploy U.N. peacekeepers mandated to attack the rebels. The rebels had insisted the talks were hopeless amid such plans.
The change of tune illustrates the success of international military pressure on rebels who recently spoke of war if offensive peacekeepers were deployed in eastern Congo.
U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon said during his visit to Central Africa last month that the force would become operational in "a matter of weeks."
Jason Stearns, a Congo expert whose Usalama Project researches Congo's armed groups, said M23 "is worried about the arrival of the intervention brigade."