Published May 27, 2013
CONAKRY, Guinea – A government spokesman says that at least 12 people were killed in clashes between opposition marchers and security forces in Guinea's capital.
Government spokesman Albert Camara said Monday that in addition to the 12 dead, 26 people were hospitalized with injuries from the violence last week.
Hospital workers said the death toll is actually higher, at 18, because some families took their dead from the morgue for immediate burial.
The clashes on Thursday and early Friday were the latest in the ongoing fight between the country's opposition and the ruling party over the details of a much-delayed parliamentary election.
Opposition spokesman Aboubacar Sylla on Sunday denounced the "unprecedented violence."