Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak waves to his supporters from behind bars as he attends a hearing in his retrial on appeal in Cairo, Egypt, Saturday, April 13, 2013. Egypt's highest court in January ordered a retrial for Mubarak, for failing to stop the killing of 900 protestors in the 2011 unrest that ousted him, after accepting an appeal against his life sentence, citing procedural failings. A high-level inquiry into the deaths of the nearly 900 protesters killed in the uprising, parts of which were released exclusively to The Associated Press last month, could weigh heavily in the retrial. (AP Photo)The Associated Press
CAIRO – Egypt's state news agency says deposed President Hosni Mubarak will remain in custody despite a court order to release him.
The release order covers his retrial over alleged responsibility for the deaths of nearly 900 protesters during the 2011 uprising against him. Even so, he remains in custody over new corruption charges.
The MENA news agency said the Cairo Criminal court's decision Monday followed Mubarak's request to be released after spending two years in detention without a final verdict.
Mubarak has been in prison since 2011. An appeals court threw out a life sentence against him in January, granting him a new trial.
At the start of his retrial Saturday, the judge recused himself. A new trial date has not been set.