Sign in to comment!

Menu
Home

Europe

Norway killer denied furlough for mother's funeral

Norway Massacre_Higg (1).jpg

Confessed mass killer Anders Behring Breivik sits in the courtroom in Oslo, Norway Friday 1 June, 2012. Norwegian police said they are confident that confessed mass killer Anders Behring Breivik acted on his own in terror attacks last year that killed 77 people and that they found no evidence he belonged to a Europe-wide anti-Muslim network. (AP Photo/Heiko Junge,Pool)

Norwegian media say prison authorities have rejected mass killer Anders Behring Breivik's request for a furlough to attend his mother's funeral.

The 34-year-old, far-right fanatic, whose mother died Friday, was convicted of terrorism and premeditated murder in 2012 for killing 77 people and wounding hundreds in a bomb-and-gun rampage that stunned peaceful Norway a year earlier.

His laywer, Tord Jordet, told Norwegian news agency NTB that prison authorities on Tuesday decided to extend Breivik's confinement in the maximum-security wing of Oslo's Ila Prison, and rejected his request to attend the funeral.

Breivik would appeal the ruling, Jordet said.

Breivik is serving a 21-year sentence that can be extended for as long as he's considered a menace to society.

See the latest updates on the hottest midterm races from Fox News

Full Elections Coverage →

Keep up with all the 2014 races in

Coverage →