JOHANNESBURG – Nelson Mandela's ex-wife Winnie says she is shocked and surprised that prosecutors are considering charges following the exhumation of bodies believed to belong to two young activists last seen at her home 24 years ago.
She says in a statement received Sunday that it is "difficult to legally imagine" what new evidence is contemplated given the diverse accounts presented more than 10 years ago to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
Forensic scientists last week exhumed two bodies with multiple stab wounds and believed to belong to Lolo Sono and Siboniso Shabala. Winnie Madikizela-Mandela's bodyguard told the commission she ordered him to kill the two she accused of being spies for the apartheid regime.
The commission found no evidence of that order but said Madikizela-Mandela must be responsible for their disappearances.