Published March 11, 2013
ROME – Officials say two Italian marines facing murder charges in India won't be returned there for trial.
The marines, who were part of an anti-piracy military security team, are accused of fatally shooting two Indian fishermen aboard a cargo ship who were incorrectly identified as pirates. India allowed the soldiers to travel to Italy last month to vote in a national election; they were scheduled to return to Indian custody after Easter.
But the ministry said in a statement Monday that India's decision to try the pair there would violate their rights. Italy has argued the marines should be tried in Italy. The ministry said it would be open to international mediation in the case.
The statement said Italy's ambassador in New Delhi has informed the Indian government of its decision.