Published March 11, 2013
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic – The former chief of operations of the Dominican Republic's anti-drug agency now says he's decided not to fight extradition to the United States to face drug trafficking charges.
It's a change of strategy for Francisco Hiraldo, who previously vowed to fight extradition. The retired Navy admiral said at a Supreme Court hearing Monday that he was not pressured to change his mind. Hiraldo has denied guilt.
He was arrested in October on a still-sealed warrant out of New York City. Dominican authorities said he was accused of taking payoffs from traffickers to allow shipments of South American cocaine to transit through the Caribbean country from 2001 and 2009. He served 14 years with the anti-drug agency, including two as operations chief.