Sign in to comment!

Menu
Home

Afghanistan

NATO finds no evidence for Afghan claim of misconduct that led to Karzai kicking out troops

20c5c00d499025062a0f6a70670053c9.jpg

FILE - In this Nov 22, 2009, file photo, Afghan men waiting to get a ride out of the city queue next to a giant poster of Afghanistan's President Hamid Karzai in Kabul, Afghanistan. At least half the Afghan Taliban recently freed from Pakistani prisons have rejoined the insurgency, a Pakistani intelligence official said, complicating further releases and throwing into question the value of such goodwill gestures to restart a flagging peace process that shows no sign of ending a war that has raged for more than 11 years. (AP Photo/Anja Niedringhaus, File) (The Associated Press)

A spokesman for the U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan says NATO has so far found no evidence to support Afghan allegations of misconduct by American special forces in a strategic eastern province.

German Gen. Gunter Katz said on Monday that the International Security Assistance Force will work with the government to find a solution to the concerns of Afghans.

Katz's comments come a day after President Hamid Karzai ordered all U.S. special forces to leave Wardak province within two weeks because of allegations that Afghans working with them are torturing and abusing other Afghans.

Katz says that ISAF cannot comment until NATO meets to discuss the issue with the Afghan government.

Sunday's order seems to have surprised both NATO and U.S. Forces Afghanistan, a separate command.