MALE, Maldives – The former president of the Maldives has left the country's Indian Embassy, where he had taken refuge for 10 days claiming his life was under threat.
Mohamed Nasheed left the embassy on Saturday. He arrived there on Feb. 13 after a court ordered his arrest for not attending a hearing on charges that he illegally ordered the detention of a senior judge, a move that led to his ouster from power last year.
Nasheed has said the case against him is politically motivated to disqualify him from contesting the presidential election scheduled for September.
Nasheed did not explain why he left the embassy on Saturday, but said he believed he would be free to participate in politics.