Published February 18, 2013
ALGIERS, Algeria – The head of Algeria's state-owned energy company, Sonatrach, says the gas complex that came under terrorist attack last month will partially resume work in the next week.
Abdelhamid Zerguine said one of the plant's three gas units should resume production before Feb. 24 at 9 million cubic meters of gas a year — about a third of the plant's capacity.
Feb. 24 is anniversary of Algeria's 1971 nationalization of its oil industry.
President Abdelaziz Bouteflika also broke his silence Monday about the Jan. 16 attack, which left dozens of civilian hostages dead — most of them foreigners.
In a statement read out by an adviser, Bouteflika congratulated the army for ending the four-day standoff with militants and said they were worthy heirs to those who fought for independence from France.