ACAPULCO, Mexico – Authorities in Mexico say six men who were detained in the recent rape of six Spanish tourists in Acapulco have confessed to the crimes.
Attorney General Jesus Murillo Karam says prosecutors have gathered evidence against them and another suspect who remains at large.
He said Wednesday that the men gave a complete recount of the attacks on Feb. 4, in a beach house on the outskirts of Acapulco where 12 Spanish tourists and a Mexican woman were staying.
The crime has further tainted the reputation of the Pacific resort, already damaged by gruesome beheadings and mutilations by drug cartels.
Authorities had already announced the detentions, which prompted family members to protest that they were simply scapegoats and demand their release.
Guerrero Gov. Angel Aguirre said authorities are carrying out the investigation professionally.